Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Updo for long hair {tutorial}

One thing is certain. My girls have long hair. Let me rephrase that. My girls have EXTRA-long hair. When I say EXTRA, I mean past their little bottoms. So this hair tutorial involves a lot of hair. 
Side note: I have tried it on shorter (shoulder-length) and it didn't work as well.

Here we go:

First, grab a small chunk of hair in the front.


Second, divide the chunk of hair into two parts and start a french braid going down the side of the face.



Pictures 1 & 2, continue the french braid down, past the ear.
Picture 3 & 4, clip the braid in place, so you can grab the rest of the hair for the pony tail.
You could stop here, and it would look really cute.


Now, this is the part where I couldn't take a picture. So I will do my best to explain it. 
After all the hair is in a pony tail, I just start twisting around the base of the pony tail until just the ends are sticking out. Then, I secure the bun with 2 jaw clips.
I use jaw clips because our hair is so thick and long.  
If you have shorter hair you may be able to pin it up with no jaw clips. 



These are the hair accessories I need for this updo.



This may look confusing so I'll explain.
Pictures 1 & 2, I use the extra hair sticking out at the top, to cover the jaw clips. Take half of the hair and wrap it around one side. Pin the hair into the side of the bun after you have covered the jaw clip. Repeat for the other side.
Pictures 3 & 4, if there is any extra hair sticking out just pin it inside the bun.   


Sometimes I do not have enough hair to cover a jaw clip, so I pin a pretty hair clip to hide it. 



Here is the other side.



I do this hair style quite a bit. It may seen too fancy for an everyday style but with the hair God has given us, it works. 
There are so many different variations you could do with just this updo. Thankfully, I have two little girls that allow me to practice on them. :)

Have a blessed day!

No comments:

Post a Comment