Tuesday, March 11, 2014

DIY curtains using a drop cloth

I've had these curtains up since we did the kitchen remodel a few years ago. I used a table cloth to make them. They held up fine. I'm  just ready for something new. 

   
I found some fabric online that i liked to make the curtains with only, it was well over the amount I wanted to pay. At the price for the fabric I might as well just buy new curtains. 
To make this more cost efficient it meant to get the most bang for my buck. 
Which means, using drop cloths. There is a ton of fabric in one package of drop cloth!
Drop cloth is heavy weight and paintable, obviously. ;) 
I needed something that will hold up because this door gets used the entire day. The only downside to using a drop cloth is that I have read that they are stiff when you hang them. Not a big deal to me.

First, I measured the sliding glass doors and got my measurements. 
I washed the drop cloth before I cut them. VERY important!!!! It will shrink if you don't!

Next, I laid out the drop cloth, measured, and cut.

(Princess Fluffy loves taking pictures.)

Then, I measured out the stripes on the drop cloth. I went with 10-inch stripes. This width worked perfectly with the length I had. I used Scotch Blue tape and had to press firmly for it to hold to the drop cloth.


Before I started painting, I laid out a large plastic table cloth to prevent any paint getting on the floor. Works perfectly!


Next, I rolled the paint on using a 4-inch roller that I had.
When painting a drop cloth, it will soak up A LOT of paint! I used an entire quart on this project, and barely made it.
The tape wasn't cooperating at all while I was painting, so I held it down when I painted near it. 

  
OK, I know this looks bad but it was night time and the paint was still wet. Stay with me. 
After I finished painting the stripes, my sidekick (little mister in above pic), took the tape off. I hung them over doors overnight because they were so long. And because I didn't want to have paw prints all over when I woke up in the morning. ;)


This is what they look like now.



Every picture I take makes the color look differently. 
Kind of annoying.


 The grey I used was leftover from a past project. 
They are a little stiff, but I really don't care.
However, if you are worried about the stiffness, you can add a fabric medium to the paint. This is also useful if you want to wash them. I usually just spot clean if anything gets on the curtains. 

Have a blessed day! 



No comments:

Post a Comment