Saturday, February 8, 2014

Juicing and a Quick Snack Idea

As the title mentions, I started juicing. I'm not an expert, but I have had my share of trials and errors with this thing. So this is my sweet and simple explanation of what works for us.
 First of all, you need a juicing machine. I didn't want to invest too much up front until I knew that juicing was going to fit in with our family.  So hubby found a used juicing machine for $25! That's a huge deal considering a brand new juicer costs a few hundred dollars or more.  

My juicer. 
An oldy, but a goody!!

Next, the fun part of mixing the veggies and fruit. Usually, if I make the right consistency of fruit and vegetable,  all the kids will have a cup of juice. Each child has a different taste though. So I will add a little more of some fruit/vegetable in one cup, and a little less fruit/vegetable in another. Whatever works. 

This is what is usually in all our juices.
Carrots
Celery
Kale
Cucumber
Apples
Preferably all organic.



And the finished product.


It's green and delicious!

My snack idea is super simple.
 All I do is cut up all the fruit and veggies as soon as I get them home. Put them in a container and in the fridge. Nothing profound or earth shaking, I know. Just taking 15 minutes and cutting up everything, has changed the way we snack. I don't know why I didn't start doing this years ago. It's so simple! 


All ready to eat up at any moment! Which, if you have little ones, means about every 15 minutes! 


Another thing, have you tried these?


 My sister-in-law introduced them to me, so I picked some up at the store and had the kids try them. 
When I asked Emma what she thought of them she replied, "I feel like a horse!" Hah!
Seriously, sprouts do taste like grass, but in a good way. Does that make sense? Probably not.
I haven't tried them in a salad or on a sandwich yet. Just by the taste, I think they will be a good substitute for lettuce, though. 
Plus, the package you see in the picture costs a whopping $1.50!  
So, if your in the mood to eat like a horse, grab some sprouts!

Have a great day!




No comments:

Post a Comment