Monday, October 29, 2012

Changes at the Homestead

I painted our living room an orange color about 4 years ago. I love the color, but it is time for something new. Our living room is very dark and the orange color only makes it more dark. So I have decided to lighten things up with a very neutral grey color. That all sounds great, but I also have to prime and paint ALL the trim before I even start on the wall color. I really love white trim, so to achieve this look I must sand, prime, and paint ALL our trim. Here is a pic of one of the windows in my living room.

 
You can see all the elements in this picture. The orange walls, the dirty oak trim, and the darkness! Well, I already tore down the window treatment. I just want a nice, clean look and the brown floral just isn't doing it for me. (On a side note, I have an identical window on the other side of the living room, so if anyone would like 6 yards of brown floral fabric let me know:))
 
 
Just removing the window box has made a huge difference! The next step is sanding all that oak trim. I am not looking forward to this, but it has to get done. I have seen quite a few other homes where they changed the color if the trim, and it makes such a huge impact. I can't wait!
Another dilemma I have in the living room is the wall with the fireplace. I have some ideas swirling in my head, but not quite sure about the first step to take. This is what I am talking about.
 
 
See all the wood paneling? I was thinking about just painting all of that an off white. Or possibly just tearing it all down. Once the other walls are painted, and the trim is white, I will get a better feel of which direction to go. At least I hope so!! 
 
Nothing like a good DIY project to start the week off!
 
 
Happy Monday!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment